topic | inventory and appraise assets
Step 2: inventory assets, details, and probate status
Create a written inventory. Court-approved forms must be used if they have been necessitated by the probate court. If not, Personal Property may be used to log important information. Include as much detail as possible.
Include the following information:
- List each asset. Include the purchase price and current value. Estimate as necessary. Past invoices, checking accounts, and credit card histories may be helpful.
- Determine whether an appraisal is needed. An object such as a baseball card or an antique vase may have “hidden” value. Note items to be appraised.
- List who holds titles. Document if there is a joint survivor
- decedent's percentage ownership
- whether the asset is part of probate
- beneficiary (if known)
(if this Step is complete)
to Step 3
Return to Step 1